Cannot build openssh 7.1p1

Hi,

I tried to build rootfs for ARM cortex9 (DE10-nano), using the command:
make -C buildroot ARCH=ARM BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH=/opt/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf all

and I got this error at openssh:

checking whether /home/administrator/new_c5/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc accepts -g… yes
checking for /home/administrator/new_c5/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc option to accept ISO C89… none needed
checking build system type… x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type… Invalid configuration ARM-buildroot-linux-gnueabihf': machineARM-buildroot’ not recognized
configure: error: /bin/bash ./config.sub ARM-buildroot-linux-gnueabihf failed
make[1]: *** [/home/administrator/new_c5/buildroot/output/build/openssh-7.1p1/.stamp_configured] Error 1
make: *** [_all] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/home/administrator/new_c5/buildroot’

Please note that I was able to build other packages.
Can anyone help me?

Thank you,
Radu Morus

1 Like

Hi,

I found the issue, the command line should be:

make -C buildroot ARCH=arm BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH=/opt/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf all

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2016-September/172812.html

thank you,
Radu Morus

1 Like

This problem messed me up for a whole day until I found this post! Thank you.
For future readers, I also encountered several other related issues.

1. You can build individual packages by going
    make -C buildroot ARCH=arm BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH=/opt/gcc-linaro-4.8-2015.06-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf openssh
    (replace openssh with whatever you want)

2. Builds often fail if you haven’t
    make clean
    (from the buildroot directory)

3. When you select a package in the buildroot menu system it also selects a whole lot of libraries. If you want to start from scratch you have to both make clean, and delete the .config file.