U-Boot socfpga: console not seeing typed characters

Hi everybody,

I’m currently working on a Cyclone V based custom board which is similar to the DE0 nano.
While eventually this board shall boot from serial flash (for U-Boot and eMMC for Linux) it temporarily does from SD card until I get booting from QSPI running.
I’m currently able to build SPL as well as U-Boot and the on the latter console currently works fine when I use the SPL as provided in the SDK which boots u-boot.img from directory ATLAS_SOC_GHRD (on FAT partition of SD card).
When I boot my SPL/U-boot from the raw partition the board starts up fine (i.e. I can see normal boot messages from SPL as well as U-Boot) but any characters typed on the console seem to get lost.
The UART on the board is attached to a FTDI chip FT234XD which provides a USB console.

I already checked pin multiplexor as well as UART settings to be identical in the two situations.
The only difference I see is that in UART’s register MSR bit CTS is set when it works, but I don’t have the slightest idea why. Chances are that I miss something …

Can anyone push me in the right direction?

FWIW: my development host is Linux Mint 18.1, the console port is opened by conserver, but that is.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OK, it was obviously too much a noob question so no one could actually help me … ;-/

After digging into Quartus, QSYS and the whole process of SPL/U-Boot generation I found out that there were several things wrong there (my assumptions that these things were already correctly set up by my coworkers simply turned out to be wrong).

Just to let anyone know who might trap over this entry.