ArriaV u-boot compilation

Hi.
I am trying to build u-boot for socfpga, but without quartus installation. I found numerous explanations on the web, but it always fails. For me, it failed with the inability of gcc to locate ‘libgcc.a’ in cygwin (how do I explain to the compiler where are its libraries?) and in CenOS7 it filed with compiling the wrong include file (also some configuration?). All the configurations mentioned are “ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=pwd/compiler/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-”.
Can anybody give me or point me to the explanation of what version of gcc fits what tag of u-boot-socfpga.git, how to properly configure the environment either on linux or cygwin to be able to build the u-boot.
Thanks,

@ilkras
I’ve never compiled u-boot on windows, but when building on Linux I use the linaro toolchain.
With the linaro toolchain downloaded and extracted, I export a variable [CC] with the path to the toolchain, something like " export CC=${PWD}/gcc-linaro-7.4.1-2019.02-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-", but it will depend on where you extract the files.
After that you just need to load the configuration for your board;
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CC} [board config]
If you want to change something with the menu you can run:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CC} menuconfig

And if you just want to compile, you can run the command:
make -j$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CC} u-boot-with-spl.sfp

Please note that I don’t have access to a Arria V board to make sure that all the command work without changes, but that is the standard flow that I’ve used for other arm processors.

Thanks. I’ll try to do as you wrote. Hope it will work.

Hello @rafael_Mello,
You do not need instalation of Intel Quartus Prime for compiling U-Boot undex Windows as well as undex UNIX-based OS, you need just Intel SoC Embedded Development Suite
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/programmable/soc-eds/overview.html
It contains Cygwin as well as Cross-compiler, source code of U-Boot with modifications needed for Intel FPGA SoCs (and other useful tools).
By the way, You will need files generated with Qsys from Intel Quartus Prime anyway to compile preloader and U-Boot, becasue Qsys defines hardware.
Best wishes and good luck.
Yours Jan Konečný.

Hi @JanKonecny
I downloaded and installed EDS 19.3. It contains compiler, but there is no ‘bsp-editor’ and I didn’t find tarball with u-boot there. Any ideas?
Thanks

Hello @ilkras,
hmm, missing bsp-editor seems me strange. Release notes of Intel SoC EDS (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/lro1430797237133.html#vck1567179151957) discuses only end of U-Boot support for Agilex, not for Arria V.
It would try to observe if bsp-editor.exe exist somewhere at the instalation folder (e.g. C:\intelFPGA\19.3\embedded). If You find the executable file, the problem is only at default PATH variable of the Cygwin.
In case any bsp-editor.exe exists, You will need to search at documentation of Intel
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/lro1402536290550.html
Best wishes,
Yours Jan Konečný.