A10 U-boot config - Early IO Release vs Full Config

I have built U-boot for my A10 according the the steps listed in the link below, using the “newer flow” with its/itb files and no BSP-editor nor SoCEDS. I have U-boot running with debug prints out of QSPI NOR Flash, but the FPGA is failing to configure, printing:

FPGA: Failed to see Early Release
QSPI: Invalid input arguments txlen 64

I am wondering - how do I steer U-boot to load the full bitstream, or, split with peripheral and core images? When I changed the FPGA .its file to only load the peripheral image (but point it to a full bitstream) - when it boots it still prints Failed to see Early Release, as if it is wanting to still to a split config. How/where do I configure U-boot to use split config or full config with single rbf file? Most/all the Intel reference material for the new boot flow with ITS/ITB files is for split config, not the full bitstream.

In case it helps someone, I have found that U-boot simply goes off of what is in the fpga .its file - which gets made into the itb file using mkimage (then programmed to QSPI flash).

So, if I have both images in the default configuration, U-boot programmed the peripheral image, and continues on with programming the core image:
configurations {
default = “config-1”;
config-1 {
description = “Boot with FPGA early IO release config”;
fpga = “fpga-periph-1”, “fpga-core-1”;
};
};

But, if I only include the periph image in the default configuration, then U-boot simply programmed the peripheral image, and continues on without programming the core image:
configurations {
default = “config-1”;
config-1 {
description = “Boot with FPGA early IO release config”;
fpga = “fpga-periph-1”;
};
};