Alternatives to uart for communication

A customer let us borrow an arrow soCKit cyclone V evaluation kit. Unfortunately they had ripped the uart connector right off of the board. I don’t see any way to repair the connector without some sort of coating removal etc. Is there another way to serially communicate with the board? Perhaps redirecting the uart to a different port?

If Linux boots and the CV IP address is known, then a console interface over ethernet could be used. PolyCore Software’s development platform is integrated with the DS5 and provides an environment to quickly get started on the Cyclone V. Poly-Platform provides sample applications to show how to communicate between the cores. The time savings could be many months. If you would like more information, please contact me at Ted.Gribb@PolyCoreSoftware.com

Ted your reply sparked an idea that I have been trying to get working for a while now. I have the board booting up into linaro linux using the image provided in the SoCKit Linaro Linux Desktop project. I can see the log in screen through the vga port. Without that uart though I cannot log in.

I also cannot ssh from my linux box, the connection keeps getting denied. I know enough about linux to need admin access to fix my mistakes. (my IT guy is not happy with that) As far as I can tell the linux build does not have openssh installed, so their is no ssh server running.

So far I have tried using the image file to boot up on my desktop to install openssh. I cannot get it working in virtal box or using things like grub or syslinux. Currently I am working through the Compiling Linux - Arrow SoCKit Edition project to try and create my own linux build. I am not have much luck there as I am running into some url problems.

Am I way off base here? Is there a simpler way to get the linux build open to ssh?

Jason, Sorry - I just saw your response. How is your project progressing?