Beginner question. Linux on Windows PC

Hi,
I need to design my SW project for Linux OS, running on Arria 10 SoC. My workstation is Windows PC. Do I need to install a Linux OS on my PC?
I have installed Virtual Box on my PC, but I do not know how to continue: the Virtual Box, after I defined a new Linux Machine, requests to me insert a start-up disk. I am confused and do not know what to do now.
Thank you for advance.

Hello, Yakov,
need of Linux-based operation system depends on that, what kind of software are You want to develope. E.g. compiling drivers for Linux-based distribution running at Your Arria 10 SoC is very difficult under Windows.
An answer to Your second question may be: Virtual Machine is just a virtual computer. An operating system has to be installed on every machine - on physical as well as on virtual one. You probably need to download the instalation image of operation system, You want to run on the vritual machine.
Best wishes, Jan Konečný.

Hi Yakov,

Follow this link: https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#0
You can run Ubuntu (a Linux flavor) from a memory stick without affecting your Windows installation.

Cheers