Cyclone V SoC : ath9k firmware to the Angstrom image

I am tying to interface a Wifi Dongle with the altera cyclone v SoC. I see that the drivers for the atheros are already enabled by default in the menuconfig However, the wlan connections are not visible when logged on to the target.
The /proc/modules also shows no modules available for the wlan(atheros). I suppose the drivers are not getting compiled to the image.
Are there any more settings required to be enabled to compile the driver in the kernel image?

I am using the following kernel version : 4.1.33-ltsi-altera

update: I did the correct config and compiled the kernel. I could locate the drivers in /sys/bus/usb/drivers/ath9k_htc . the appropriate module is also found in the /sys/module/ath9k_htc/. I have built the firmware for atheros device and placed them in /lib/firmware/ath9k_htc. the files are : htc_9271-1.4.0.fw and htc_7010-1.4.0.fw .

However when I boot up my device with the dongle plugged in , the system is unable to locate the firmware for the atheros device. Here is the errror encountered:

[ 2.309362] usb 1-1: ath9k_htc: Firmware htc_9271-1.4.0.fw requested
[ 2.317158] usb 1-1: Direct firmware load for ath9k_htc/htc_9271-1.4.0.fw failed with error -2
[ 2.325761] usb 1-1: ath9k_htc: Firmware htc_9271.fw requested
[ 2.331607] usb 1-1: Direct firmware load for htc_9271.fw failed with error -2
[ 2.338817] usb 1-1: no suitable firmware found!
[ 2.343428] usb 1-1: ath9k_htc: Failed to get firmware htc_9271.fw
[ 2.349896] usb 1-1: ath9k_htc: USB layer deinitialized

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

unfortunately i do not have relevant experience
but qsdk use 2.6 or 3.х kernels and there are no any qsdk for 4.x kernel at the moment. So if you use new kernel you are on your own, sorry.

so you mean the driver ath9k_htc won´t work for the 4.x kernel?? Is there a dependency with Angstrom?
The driver is perfectly working fine for a kernel version 4.x on an laptop running Ubuntu 16.04.

do you use laptop as router? do you use AP mode?
anyway i never used qualcomm-atheros with usb dongles, generally for routers, so my information can be not so useful for you.

No I wont be using the laptop as a router. The idea is to have the cyclone V board with a wifi dongle as a standalone system to send some data to another device(may or may not be another cyclone V device). The data will be sent by an application running on Linux on the HPS side.

And there has been an update from my side:
I was able to get the firmware loaded by enabling the Fallback user-help invocation for firmware loading in the make menuconfig. And now I observe that the driver does not support the device i am using. Here is the dmesg-

[ 14.568484] usb 1-1: ath9k_htc: Transferred FW: ath9k_htc/htc_9271-1.4.0.fw, size: 51008
[ 14.820407] ath9k_htc 1-1:1.0: ath9k_htc: HTC initialized with 33 credits
[ 15.852173] ath: phy0: Mac Chip Rev 0x0f.3 is not supported by this driver
[ 15.859064] ath: phy0: Unable to initialize hardware; initialization status: -95
[ 15.866512] ath: phy0: Unable to initialize hardware; initialization status: -95
[ 15.873973] ath9k_htc: Failed to initialize the device

Any idea on this issue?

i haven’t seen such issue before but short overview show that it’s common issue and most people who report such issue use ARM. I do not know so may be it’s related to usb driver or root hub from ARM. Or it’s hardcoded endianess. i did’t find solution so i can’t help you in that case.

The TP link, official website states that the driver is not compatible with version 1 of devices and I guess, its the same case here. I have replaced the dongle with a Railink device and it works perfectly fine now.