DE10-Nano U-boot-socfpga: Enable bridges lwhps2fpga

Hi,

As described in the below link managed to compile the v2018.05 version of u-boot.

Source From:

Upon completing the boot, all three bridges are registered.

dmesg |grep 2fpga
[ 1.090025] altera_hps2fpga_bridge sopc@0:fpgabridge@0: fpga bridge [hps2fpga] registered
[ 1.098459] altera_hps2fpga_bridge sopc@0:fpgabridge@1: fpga bridge [lwhps2fpga] registered
[ 1.106976] altera_hps2fpga_bridge sopc@0:fpgabridge@2: fpga bridge [fpga2hps] registered

But i see that they are disabled by default:

cat /sys/class/fpga_bridge/br*/state
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled

Corresponding Bridge names:

cat /sys/class/fpga_bridge/br*/name
hps2fpga
lwhps2fpga
fpga2hps
fpga2sdram

After kernel boot and running application code, the LWHPS2FPGA accesses are resulting in Bus Error as below:

[ 271.701829] Unhandled fault: external abort on non-linefetch (0x818) at 0xb6085004
[ 271.709377] pgd = ee7a0000
[ 271.712075] [b6085004] *pgd=3fceb831
Bus error

Two questions:

1. How to enable these bridges : hps2fpga, lwhps2fpga, fpga2hps, fpga2sdram ?
  2. Does this enabling to be done during U-boot or can it be handled by application after Linux kernel boot?

CC:Requesting @rafael_Mello to comment.

Using the GHRD DTB from the Golden Reference Design (with u-boot v2018.05)

hps2fpga
lwhps2fpga
fpga2hps
fpga2sdram
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
cat /proc/device-tree/model
Terasic DE10 NANO

Using u-boot v2013.01, these bridges are enabled after u-boot

hps2fpga
lwhps2fpga
fpga2hps
fpga2sdram
enabled
enabled
enabled
enabled
cat /proc/device-tree/model
Terasic DE10 NANO

The best reference to enable these bridges in U-Boot i found below:

@anchea1
One way to enable the bridges is to use the command bridge enable in u-boot.
Another way to enable the bridges is to add the line bridge-enable = <1> on every bridge that you want to enable douring boot
If you want to enable the bridges from linux, you can create a devicetree overlay to enable the bridges adding the same line described before.
You can check some information from the kernel documentation

Right now I´m unable to create a good example, but I´ll try to upload one asap.

Thanks for this. I’ve been bashing my head against a wall trying to get the Intel TSE in fabric working from the HPS and wondering why I could not access the control registers through the LW H2F bridge, had assumed it was the TSE in reset or not clocked properly.

Given that the Quartus handoff file does seem to indicate that the LW H2F bridge is in use by way of the “init-val = <1>” property in the “hps_fpgabridge1” entry (even if it does not automatically populate the TSE device tree node), is there any sensible reason why u-boot does not automatically enable these bridges as part of its start up, just like it does for the hard peripherals?

The reset_manager.c source includes the socfpga_reset_deassert_bridges_handoff() to do this based on the device tree properties, but this is only run as a result of calling the cli “bridge enable” command. Having to create a script to enable the bridges through the cli before booting Linux seems odd. It also means you can’t use something like the TSE from u-boot as its already gone past the Net configure step and failed before it gets to the interactive (or scripted) u-boot prompt.