GSRD /GHRD 15.0 for SoCkit availability?

Hi,

I’ve spent some time poking around with the angstrom-socfpga releases on github and I end up with multiple failures out of the gate. It looks like some git repos have changed names as a handful are not found during the initialization.

A year ago I was successful in building the whole GSRD/GHRD from scratch back in the ACDS 13.1 era, but I would like to be in that same position using Angstrom and Quartus/SoCEDS 2015 tools if possible.

It looks like there is a GSRD release for the Altera AV and CV dev boards, but not the broader list including the SoCKit.

Has anyone got the ACDS15.0.1_REL_GSRD_UPDATE1_PR running on the SoCkit?

http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/Documentation/GSRD150CompilingLinux is the link to the build instruction for the Altera dev kits; I haven’t tried building this just yet.

Thanks for any pointers,
Lance

Hi,
Are you looking for something like this: http://releases.rocketboards.org/release/2015.07/gsrd/
In the “hw” folder you should find the quartus/qsys project an in the “bin” folder you find all required binary…

Hi,

Yes, I found those hardware releases and was planning on building those (the differences for the SoCKit of course would be needed, probably something I could figure out).

I started though with trying to build the CV/AV angstrom per the instructions and ran into multiple failures (mostly related to the open-embedded recipes; it implied that some were not found. There was also a git related error to one of the checkouts… something about checking out “dizzy” and such). While I would not be able to have a working system instantly without getting the hardware right, I would have expected that the angstrom build would have succeeded.

I wonder if others have followed those “GSRD150CompilingLinux” instructions lately and had success (at least until the board-specific stuff comes into play).

Thanks,
Lance

Hi,

After a few tries I got the Angstrom build-flow working and was able to (re-)create the sd card image for the Altera Arria V SoC DevKit Board.
There where some changes to the commands given in the current 15.0.1 GSRD Linux Guide and some changes to the make_sdimage.py python script:

Branch/Tag/Environment

CentOS 6.5
angstrom-socfpga
branch: origin/angstrom-v2014.12-socfpga_gsrd15.0.1
tag: ACDS15.0.1_REL_GSRD_UPDATE1_PR)

command changes (step-by-step guide from: http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/Documentation/AVGSRD150CompilingLinux)

cd ~
git clone https://github.com/altera-opensource/angstrom-socfpga
cd angstrom-socfpga/
git checkout -b origin/angstrom-v2014.12-socfpga_gsrd15.0.1 ACDS15.0.1_REL_GSRD_UPDATE1_PR

sed -i 's@meta-openembedded,git://github.com/openembedded/meta-oe.git,dizzy,HEAD@meta-openembedded,git://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded.git,dizzy,HEAD@' ./sources/layers.txt
sed -i 's@openembedded-core,git://github.com/openembedded/oe-core.git,dizzy,HEAD@openembedded-core,git://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core.git,dizzy,HEAD@' ./sources/layers.txt

sed -i '/.*kde4.*/d' ./sources/layers.txt
sed -i '/.*gumstix.*/d' ./sources/layers.txt
sed -i '/.*kde4.*/d' ./conf/bblayers.conf
sed -i '/.*gumstix.*/d' ./conf/bblayers.conf

grep -rl "/usr/bin/env python2.7" | xargs sed -i 's@/usr/bin/env python2.7@/usr/bin/env python@'

MACHINE=arria5 ./oebb.sh config arria5
source ./environment-angstrom-v2014.12
export BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE="$BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE KERNEL_TAG UBOOT_TAG UBOOT_PROT UBOOT_REPO"
export KERNEL_TAG=refs/tags/ACDS15.0.1_REL_GSRD_UPDATE1_PR
export UBOOT_TAG=refs/tags/ACDS15.0.1_REL_GSRD_UPDATE1_PR
export UBOOT_REPO=git://github.com/altera-opensource/u-boot-socfpga
export UBOOT_PROT=http
export set PATH=~/Python-2.7.8:~/git-1.7.8:~/tar-1.28/src:$PATH
MACHINE=arria5 bitbake virtual/kernel gsrd-console-image virtual/bootloader

Changes:
openembedded related sed’s -> get the sources from the new openembedded git

kde/gumstix sed’s -> bugfix

python 2.7 grep -> some scripts in the build-flow call python2.7 directly, which will not be found and will cause an error during the bitbake build, this line will fix this

Preloader BSP generation:

enable SDRAM scrubbing: spl.boot -> activate SDRAM_SCRUBBING checkbox

Devicetree generator:

sopc2dts --input soc_system.sopcinfo
–output socfpga.dtb
–type dtb
–board soc_system_board_info.xml
–board hps_common_board_info.xml
–bridge-removal all
–clocks

Get all necessary files for the sd card image

Execute the mkimage python script:

./make_sdimage.py
-f
-P preloader-mkpimage.bin,u-boot-arria5.img,num=3,format=raw,size=10M,type=A2
-P rootfs/*,num=2,format=ext3,size=1500M
-P zImage,u-boot.scr,soc_system.rbf,socfpga.dtb,num=1,format=vfat,size=500M
-s 2G
-n sd_card_image_arria5.bin

make_sdimage.py errors/modifications

1:
‘module’ has no function ‘check_output’
–> check that the PATH includes the link to the python 2.7.8 executable
This is necessary as the check_output function (for module subprocess) is available from 2.7 onwards (2.6.6 = standard install from centos 6.5 does not include this function!)
–> The export-line from above exports the ~/Python path --> the make_sdimage.py is executed as root (keep this in mind)

2:
…could not stat device losetup: …
–> The create_loopback function returns the complete command-line feedback from the losetup function
The losetup function might issue a warning which is then part of this returned value
–> the returned value has to be parsed for the /dev/loopX (loopback device) and ONLY this should be part
of the create_loopback – device variable!
e.g: add the following in line 323:

device = str.rstrip(device)
match_device = re.search(r"/dev/loop[01234567]$",str.rstrip(device))
if match_device:
device = match_device.group(0)
else:
    print "Error: No loopback device has been found! (check with losetup -a)"
sys.exit(-1)

3:
error: could not reload the partition table from image
–> the partprobe command issued at the end of the create_partition_function will be executed
for all partitions
–> this can return errors for other partitions and end the script execution, therefor modify the partprobe execution in the script:

pp = subprocess.Popen(["partprobe", loopback])

–> This will only execute partprobe for the loopback device

4:
create_partition_table:
Befor the for loop that sets the fdisk commands for the partitions is executed,
fdisk has to be configured to use sectors instead of cylinders:

#set fdisk to use sectors instead of cylinders as unit
    cmd = """\
u
"""

Apuhm,

Thank you very much for sharing your step by step adjustments to the published instructions.

I followed some of the previous kde related yocto issues as I ran into them a few months ago when trying this, but the openembedded fixes seem to relate to the problems I was seeing.

I hope to try this very soon, hopefully then the only issues I will need to resolve will be related to the board specifics.

thank you again for taking the time to share this.

Lance

I have tried to bild the 15.0 release for SocKit and I had no luck either. There is a broken reference to some release in linux-socfpga (branch socfpga-3.10-ltsi). I don’t know how to fix it. There is actually another thread on this subject, but no solution is provided there.

The fixes for KDE / gumstix work fine, but the linux-socfpga is persistent.

Hello Tobias,

You might eant to have a look over here:

No step-by-step instructions yet. When I return home over the weekend I will try myself, and include the step-by-step instructions.

Hello Paul,

I also found those instructions, but they do not fix the problem with fetching the socfpga-3.10-ltsi from linux-socfpga.
If you find out how to fix it, please let us know!

Best regards,
Tobias

Hallo tobiasweltiZHAW

I am using http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/Documentation/YoctoDoraBuildWithMetaAltera
without any problems on a new installed Linux Mint 17.2 x64.

I just did these 3 steps before following the instructions on the link above:
(read here for more details http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.0/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#detailed-supported-distros )
sudo apt-get build-dep qemu

sudo apt-get remove oss4-dev

sudo apt-get install gawk wget git-core diffstat unzip texinfo gcc-multilib build-essential chrpath socat