NFS root mount issues

I’d like to suggest a small edit to the https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BootingAlteraSoCFPGAFromNetworkUsingTFTPAndNFS documentation. I didn’t see where in the wiki to post comments or I would have posted there and I couldn’t figure out how to message Dan directly.

I had issues getting the SoC to mount the root file system. After digging in, it appears that by default my NFS server will not accept version 2 NFS. The fix is easy. Simply add “,nfsvers=3” to the end of the rootfs directory argument in the bootargs which tells the linux kernel to use version 3.

Example:
Instead of “setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=${nfsip}:${nfs-rootfs-dir}” replace with “setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=${nfsip}:${nfs-rootfs-dir},nfsvers=3”

This of course isn’t the only way to solve the problem. You could also configure the NFS server to accept Version 2 requests.

Even if this doesn’t make it’s way into the documentation, I hope it helps someone out.