Problem in getting and compiling u-boot for cycone V soc fpga DE10 Nano as per step 3.2 of this tutorial - https://bitlog.it/hardware/building-embedded-linux-for-the-terasic-de10-nano-and-other-cyclone-v-soc-fpgas/

Hello everyone,

I am trying to implement the tutorial on the above website for DE10 Nano board. I am trying to implement the tutorial on Windows. However, I am getting an error in step 3.2 in the make mrproper command which was executed in SoC EDS command shell for windows. The error is as follows

$ make mrproper
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, /cygdrive/d/Engineering/BTech_Project/Implementation/DE10/DE10-Nano_v.1.3.4_HWrevC_SystemCD/Demonstrations/SoC_FPGA/DE10_NANO_SoC_GHRD/software/gcc-linaro-6.3.1-2017.05-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -print-file-name=include, …) failed.
rm: cannot remove ‘SPL’: Is a directory
make: *** [clobber] Error 1

Can anyone please help me solve this error ?
Any help is appreciated

Thanks and Regards
Hrishikesh

Hi Hrishikesh,

Maybe the cause of the error is in the operating system; you are using windows, correct?
“rm” will not work in windows because the command to remove a directory in windows is “rmdir”.

If you go through the mrproper script and replace the linux commands with windows equivalents it may work better. Otherwise, you might want to skip this step in the tutorial and continue to the next.

Cheers,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will give this a try.
Also, I tried to implement the same tutorial in Ubuntu 16.04. I have reached up to step 7.2 and I am facing an error there which I have posted here

Thus, could you also please help me how to solve this?
Any help is really appreciated

Thanks and Regards
Hrishikesh

Hi Hrishikesh,

I remember that problem; if I remember correctly, it has to do with ncurses libraries not being installed on your Ubuntu system (google on this to be sure); anyway, what I did was change that specific command to “make -C buildroot busybox-xconfig”; you will get in the same menu but it will look a bit different than in the tutorial pics.

Please first try the last option (with xconfig), I’ll do some more googling on what I installed additionally on my Ubuntu 16.04 so that the “menuconfig” shows (it’s just that your Ubuntu currently is incapable of showing these kinds of console GUIs).

Cheers,
Richard

First try this:

sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev

afterwards the tutorial command should work

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I tried to install this ->sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev. However the menuconfig command is still not working. Also, I am able to see the console GUI ( as shown in step 7.2 of the bitlog.it tutorial ) when I run that command .It is when I press exit+save and the console gets closed, that the error appears. So I think my Ubuntu is being able to display the console GUI as shown in the image in the tutorial (step 7.2)

Also, the xconfig command is not working (due to some problem with qt installations)
Please let me know if there is any other way to solve this problem.

Thanks and Regards
Hrishikesh

Hi Hrishikesh,

Is it a real error or a warning? Maybe you can try to continue the tutorial and see if it works. Otherwise would you can do is start Synaptic Package Manager on your system and check if you have installed all the dependencies for libncurses5-dev.

If this all does not work I am afraid I cannot really help further, sorry for that.

Good luck & best regards,
Richard

Okay. I will try to do that. Thanks a lot.

Hrishikesh