Problem to generate buildroot

Hello,

I use Ubuntu 14.04.
When I try to generate the buildroot with the command make appears the next message:
linux/linux.mk:462: *** No kernel device tree source specified, check your BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_INTREE_DTS / BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_CUSTOM_DTS settings. Stop.
make: *** [_all] Error 2

How could I solve this problem??

Thank you for your help!

To make things easy you should first start by configuring Buildroot for an Altera SoC FPGA as follows:
make altera_sockit_defconfig

After that you can run the “make” command to build a zImage and root file system (contained in the output/images folder).

You will probably want to specify what Kernel release your using and not simply use the one specified in altera_sockit_defconfig. This is done by executing “make menuconfig” then specifying the kernel release under the “Kernel” menu item.

Example:
If your using Quartus 16.1 then you might want to use ACDS16.1_REL_GSRD_PR.

Specify this URL:
git://github.com/altera-opensource/linux-socfpga

Specify this custom repository:
ACDS16.1_REL_GSRD_PR

Configuration considerations:
make busybox-menuconfig # use this command to configure busybox
make linux-menuconfig # use this to configure the Kernel (adding drivers for example)
make menuconfig # to configure Buildroot and add or remove packages

Be aware that running “make clean” will delete your custom busybox and linux kernel changes and revert to the defaults.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

I configured all the parameter whit the command: menu xconfig that I think is similar to use make menuconfig.
I specify all the parameters in order to my board (DE1-SOC Cyclone V) and for the version of Quartus (Quartus 16.0) that I use. For example in my case I use ACDS16.0_REL_GSRD_PR and the same repository that you wrote.

I have reviewed several times that all the parameters were well but when y try to make always appear the same error:
linux/linux.mk:462: *** No kernel device tree source specified, check your BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_INTREE_DTS / BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_CUSTOM_DTS settings. Stop.
make: *** [_all] Error 2

I don’t know what I can do to try to solve this error.

Thanks for your help!

I have no access to a computer at this time so this is just a guess. In the area where you specify the Kernel release you must also specify the use of an in-tree def_config file. The name of the def_config you should use is socfpga. This can be specified in menuconfig under the Kernel configuration settings. Hope this helps. I’ll be near a computer tomorrow and will be happy to help further if needed.

jsg - Do you have your issue resolved?

Buildroot is easy to get working.
I’ll help you get to the point where your compiling if needed.

Hi!
I could solve the problem.
I did not make the correct path in the field Device Tree Source Filenames.
Thank you a lot for your help!!!