Transfer File on SD Card from Windows Host

Hi,
I have my output.rbf file of my FPGA design. I want to program my FPGA from microSD card. I am trying to transfer output.rbf file to SD card using Putty but whenever I try to login to my Altera Cyclone V Sockit board and try to enter the password, it says authentication denied. Does any one know what is default password for the board ?? I tried terasic as my board is from terasic but it is not working.

Hello,
as far as I understand, You are connected via Ethernet to Your board and You communicate with it with PuTTY, i.e. SSH, right?
Could I ask if You are trying to login and transfer data as user ‘root’? It could not be allowed. Try to look at configuration file ‘/etc/ssh/sshd_config’. The default configuration is not allow ‘root’ to login with password, but crypting key-pair only.

Hi JanKonecny,
Yes you are absolutely right. I am communicating via Putty with SSH. I am trying to transfer my data as root user.
It will be so nice of you if you can guide a little bit to procedure on how to do it. If I get it correctly then am I suppose to explore my SD card on Linux host computer, find the configuration file and change default configuration??Actually I am really fluent in verilog but I have recently started to use FPGA programming that is why I am facing lot of problem in transferring my design to FPGA. I have my .rbf but I am trying to best to transfer it to FPGA.
I even tried to go to my Linux host computer, plugged my SD card into computer and manually copy past my .rbf into it but it is still not allowing me to do so.

What i do is to load the .rbf during start-up. The bootloader configures the FPGA before loading the kernel.

If you are testing and you want to load FPGA configurations from PC while the OS in the board is running just use the USB Blaster and Quartus programmer.

To send files from Windows PC and board I use WinSCP. But once the.rbf is there I dont know how to configure the FPGA using the OS. I think there is some fpga/ entry in /dev that can be used for this purpose, but i was not able to do it yet

Hello, Muhammad and roberbot,
I thing the best way to learn programming FPGA and all about it is following the following article at RocketBoards: https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/EmbeddedLinuxBeginnerSGuide. It is really well written, even if it has not cautch the latest changes of Linux kernel. Another very good source for beginners are guides for their board and their Golder Reference Software or Hardware Designes, e.g. here: https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/AlteraSoCDevelopmentBoard
Roberbot is right, loading RBF files at boot-time is usualy the most suitable way. Everything about it is described at the linked article as well. The only trick would be that You need to place Yours RBF file onto FAT partition of the SD card and name it “soc_system.rbf”. As You will learn the base, You can find out how to load different RBF files via different names, from different partitions of SD card or even how to load them while Operating system running (I written the last possibility at the forum https://forum.rocketboards.org/t/problem-with-fpga2hps-bridge/990/11. Yours operating systems needs config filesystem enabled and mounted, however.).
The loading of RBF file with bootloader, as described at linked articles, is done by das U-Boot bootloader on the base of its script - You will observe its content and generation at the Embedded Linux Beginners Guided linked above. The same (default) U-Boot script is placed at FAT partition of Yours reference SDcard content.
Can I ask You, Muhammad, how is not allowed copying RBF file to Your SD card? This is the right way for doing this operation. At Windows host computer, You only need to copy the RBF file onto FAT partition with Explorer or Total Commander, e.g. At Linux host computer, You need to copy it onto FAT partition (not EXT2/3/4 partition!) and You even need not SuperUser (=root) permissions.
WinSCP is really the best way for transfering files to Your board (WinSCP from Windows or scp command from Linux). But You need mounted FAT partition of Yours SD card, which is not so easy task for beginners. I do not want to complicate it here more, so I recommend You to copy RBF file from host computer, now. Or do You Muhammad observe any obstacles during this?

PS: To answer Yours question: to permit root login via SSH for WinSCP could be done as follow (for OpenSSH package):

1. open configuration file /etc/ssh/sshd_config at Your board with yours text editor (e.g. vi, nano, … which You have)
  2. find the line “# PermitRootLogin prohibit-password” and change it to “PermitRootLogin yes”.
  3. save the changes
  4. Now, You should be able to connect with WinSCP as root. No restart is needed.
    This procedure is described at manual of OpneSSH package https://www.openssh.com/
1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been programming in Verilog but that was for IC designs and this is my first time that I came across a real FPGA board. But thanks a lot the information and links that you provided helped me a lot.

1 Like

You can use shareit to transfer files to your device, you can use shareit at the shareitdownload.net address I used here to provide the latest version with many useful functions